Friday, April 6, 2012

Falling

Yesterday I watched/listened to a song about Guinevere on YouTube. It was awesome, but that Guinevere wasn't my Guinevere, you know? And I got it into my head that I could write my own song about her. I love to sing and play guitar, but I've only written one song...and that was back in my high school days. So I started messing around and came up with a melody that I liked, but no words. Then in the middle of the night I woke up and the first line popped into my head, and then the next line. I thought, I'm just going to write these down so I don't forget, and then I'll go back to sleep. But the words kept coming. I finally gave into the muse and finished the song. Here it is! Please forgive the buzzing strings and the occasional off-chord. I haven't played guitar in a while. :-) The lyrics are below the video.



Take my hand
Take me for what I am
Knowing what I've done
Knowing the road I've walked on

Starlit leaves
Rowans and willow trees
Pain that can cut so deep
Love that can fill me, haunt me

I'm waking, I'm shaking
I'm bleeding, I'm breathing
I'm falling

Come kneel down
Take off your golden crown
Weave yourself into me
Before I fade

I'm moonstruck, I'm flying
I'm unveiled, I'm dying
I'm wide-eyed, I'm yearning
I'm spinning, I'm burning
I'm falling

Turning and turning and turning around
Head underwater but feet on the ground
Tethering, surfacing, lost but I'm found with you
Never believing that I could be free
Hoping for someone who'd understand me
Waiting to sail on an uncharted sea, alone if must be

And I know, and I see
Your weakness beside me
But I feel who you are
Your stronger than your scars

Uncloak me, eclipse me
And hold me, forgive me
And we'll cross a new sea
And we'll last and we'll dream
We're falling

Take my hand
Take me for what I am
Knowing what I've done
Knowing the road I've walked on

13 comments:

  1. Holy crap Katie. That was amazing. You sound like Jewel. And these lyrics...Come kneel down, Take of your golden crown, Weave yourself into me...chills. Especially since I've read your book and I know what's going on. Seriously, wow. Is there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG KATIE YOU ARE AMAZING. <3333333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    You are amazing. What a beautiful song. The lyrics and especially the voice. A-freaking-mazing.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Not to sound repetitive, but you are amazing!! I love your hair, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The feeling listening to you singing this song is still ringing through me. I'm seriously in awe. I see your character and feel her so deeply right now. And to have read your book and know how it all connects-I feel honored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, everyone! It means a lot coming from all my CPs (and the lovely Jeni, who will always be my CP at heart) -- you who have either read my story or know in detail what it's about. I'm glad you think I captured the heart of Guinevere's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dedicated to ME!!!! Woohoo! Thank you, honey. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the bee's knees, darlin'. Thanks for supporting me through everything!

      Delete
  8. I am amazed. I could never have written this! It's totally awesome....and writing a song for your character is such a great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kate, you really could have written this. I've always tried to write lyrics first, and then fit them to music. But it's so much easier to find the music first, and then write the words to the music. That's what I did this time around.

      I still want to adopt you into our crit group. :-) I already feel like you're in our "extended family" because of Taryn.

      Delete
  9. Followed Ilima's suggestion and popped on over. I really wish I could write songs. I've written lyrics to music, but that's it.

    So talented girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Kelley! I already follow yours, so I'm happy to see you over here. And you could TOTALLY write a song. Have someone you know who plays an instrument just play a chord progression over and over again and see what tune pops into your head. :-) Sounds like you've got the lyrics part down; you're a writer, after all!

      Delete
  10. You are very talented! You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete